With the coming of the holiday season, the online crafting community is crying "Buy Handmade for the Holidays!" What I would like to tell you is why.
1. Handmade items are often more well made then the same item by machine.
2. Items made by indie designers are not made in sweatshops.
3. Supporting small business is good for the economy.
4. Small business owners are often everyday people trying to make ends meet. As opposed to multi-billion dollar big box stores that have unethical treatment of their employees and are sitting in their million dollar homes sipping Kopi Luwak.
5. Handmade gifts use less energy to make thus helping the planet.
6. Handmade items are often one of a kind... do you want a one of a kind designer bag that doesn't cost 1-2 months rent? Buy Handmade!
7. By buying handmade you can almost guarantee that the receiver of the gift doesn't already have one.
There are seven reasons. Can you find more?
Pledge to buy handmade this season here.