Am I really thinking about the holidays? Have we really lived in this house 8 months? Time flies by so quickly, it seems like we have lived here only a few months. This is the first year where Tom and I will not be spending the holidays visiting relatives and I find myself cuddled up on the couch in the living room imagining where our tree will go and where should we put the stockings since we don't have a fireplace. I know everything is going to be perfect because we are here together in our own place. Last year Tom spent the holidays in San Jose working while I was in Southern California with my daughter, Mom and siblings. It was very hard to spend that much time apart, especially during a holiday, which is why I am so excited about this holiday season.
I've been writing down a list of things I want to make for my little one this year. Like most kids in America, she has far too many plastic dolls and toys taking up space in her closet. As a matter of fact I plan on getting rid of a lot of that stuff she never plays with (we already started with a mountain of naked hand me down barbies) and replacing them with more of what she really loves. Dress up clothes, books, play kitchen toys, art supplies, and doll clothes.
Toy Craft List
-Felt Food - I already started on this. I have 3 carrots, a bulb of garlic, some bow tie pasta, and a zucchini finished. Plans for more veggies, a loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly, sushi rolls, tea cakes, cookies, and much more are already in the works. I have found some great tutorials from
- Chasing Marcus
- Helping Little Hands - Look at the left sidebar for a huge list of felt food tutorials
- Felt-o-rama - Again the list is in the left sidebar
- Lit'l Brown Bird's Passion
-Dress Up Clothes - The princess dress I made a couple months ago for our sew a long has been a huge hit. Its amazing its still here too. I forgot to tell you about how it got completely covered in my little ones blood when she fell and cut her head. By some miracle we got all the blood out and my daughter is fine. I was hanging up all her play dresses the other day when I thought about turning the project for this month into another princess dress. I think there is a lot I could do with it, so that is tentatively the plan. I would also like to squeeze in a crown somewhere.
- Legwarmers, hat, mittens & maybe a cowl - Okay, so this is probably to make me happy rather then her. I figure she loves when I make her things and if I make them pink she will be happy.
- Socks - Believe it or not, she has requested hand knit socks. I can't say no to that.
- Doll Clothes - I am not sure what to do here. She has specifically requested barbie doll clothes but I honestly have enough to knit this year. Maybe I can fit a few in late at night. Here are lots more clothes too!
- Doll Crib & Dress Up Closet from Ana White - Remember the coffee table I built with my friend Tina? I am pretty confident that if I could build that table then I can build this adorable Doll Crib and a Dress Up Storage Closet. Ana is posting new toy ideas to build for the next month! I am sure there will be more things added to this list.
That's all for my kid craft list. Isnt it enough? I also have a whole list of holiday decor I want to make as well. I got out our puny holiday decor box and realized that all we have left from our two moves last year are ornaments. That just wont do! I will be posting pictures of what I am working on and how I am decorating over the next few weeks.
What's on your holiday craft list and what are your decorating plans?